Regimentals

Go Back   militarytrader.co.uk > Forums > Optics Forum

Old 14th October 2014, 07:07
Founder Member

Default Opinions Please.

A Dealer we see at all the major Fairs buys up as many big WW1/2 optics as he can find Mostly big ones and a lot with tripods. German Brits etc...Even RAF ejector seats..He then strips them and professionally chromes each piece before reassembling them...So you have a beautiful looking item. He sells these for BIG money as display items in London Homes etc...I'm talking thousands!..His latest is a bent Lancaster propeller from a WW2 crash. Mounted on oak and chromed!..2.500...and he gets it!!..Told me he's opting out of the Militaria game to concentrate on this.Cant blame him on the money side but it totally wrecks the originality of the item..Its like repeinting a good german helmet etc on a smaller scale.What do you guys think?
Old 14th October 2014, 12:26

All wrong, ruins the item, just to sit in some fancy flat in London, still if he earns a good crust we cant knock him......can we
Old 14th October 2014, 13:22
Founder Member

Exactly what I thought but they sure look nice!..Thing is he can get about twice the price chromed to what he gets if left original!,,Shame really as they appeal to non collectors.Saw a pair of U-BOAT Binos 10x 50 done....shame in my opinion.